What is Neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a group of disorders that affect the nerves in the body apart from the brain and the spinal cord. When a person experiences neuropathy, he may feel numbness, tingling sensation, some pain and sometimes with burning sensation.
What Causes Neuropathy?
According to Mayo Clinic, the usual cause of neuropathy is diabetes. One may have an undiagnosed diabetic condition which may result to diabetic neuropathy. On the other hand, people with physical trauma or some related diseases may also experience neuropathy. However, not all neuropathy cases have known causes. In fact, almost 30% of people who experience neuropathy have either benign or unknown cause of the condition.
We will provide you a list of possible causes of neuropathy other than diabetes:
- Repetitive hand motion like typing on a keyboard or lifting heavy objects, leading to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome on the wrist.
- Vitamin deficiency especially B vitamins
- Immune system conditions especially on people with AIDS and other auto-immune diseases
- Undiagnosed tumors which may press on some nerves causing numbness
- Exposure to poisonous and toxic substances such as Mercury
Treatments for Neuropathy
Treating neuropathy is only possible if you know the cause. However, there are home based and alternative treatments that you can do to relieve the symptoms of numbness. Just make sure that you have sought the help of a doctor prior to using alternative treatment options.
- Chiropractic Service – You may contact your local chiropractor to help you align your muscles and joints for better blood circulation, leading also to better nerve performance.
- Taking Vitamin B supplements – The best vitamins for neuropathy are Vitamins B1,B6 and B12. You can easily purchase them online.
- Using wrist or hand braces – If you usually use your hands and arms for repetitive activities like keyboard typing, make sure to use hand devices to reduce the stress your wrist and hands receive. For example, you could use some therapy gloves.
- Massages – Body massages are known to rejuvenate the senses and help muscles and bones to recondition. This will help in allowing proper blood circulation too which leads to less numbness. You may contact a physical therapist for this service.